Tuesday, January 4, 2011

INSPIRE

Day 8: Who inspires ME

What an interesting question. Who inspires me? First off what does inspire mean. To me someone that inspires me is someone who makes me want to be a better more selfless person, someone who I can always look to to do the right thing. Throughout my life there have been many people who have "inspired" me. But as I sit here one particular person comes to mind. She is someone that I met my first semester of college. She is now serving a mission in the Philippines. Her name is Meghan Maines. I wish with all my heart everyone could meet someone like a Meghan, a girl who always has a smile on her face and looks at the world with a glass half full perspective. Recently I was forwarded some letters that Meghan had written about her experiences on her mission. She told an inspiring story. Her area had just been through a typhoon and many of the streets her and her companion used were flooded. Instead of saying oh well I guess that today we can't go this way we better head home, Meghan and her companion started there way wading through the streets. She said that at some points the water was above her knee and on her companion at her waist. You might think that Meghan would have written this in a less then cheerful way. Instead I could sense nothing but pure joy as Meghan used this as a lesson to bring her closer to the people and to strengthen her testimony. I hope that as I start this new year I can be a little more "glass half full" look,a little bit more like Meghan, always seeking to find the lesson that can be learned from every experience whether good or bad, and doing it all with a smile on my face.

This picture is of myself with two of my previous roommates. Meghan is the one on the left:)

No comments:

Post a Comment